Your jaw has a big effect on your daily life. When you are suffering from a TMJ disorder, your jaw may be interfering with your everyday activities. By getting TMJ treatment in Athens, GA, you can:
- Eat comfortably again
- Get the sleep you need
- Stop frequent headaches and earaches
- Protect your smile
We have seen that teeth grinding is a common cause of TMJ disorders. It’s also something our team at McRae Family Dental can help you fix. Contact us today to make an appointment at the location nearest you. Reach the Baxter Street office at 706-480-9410, Trail Creek at 706-430-3191, or Epps Bridge at 706-430-3102.
Take Action Against Teeth Grinding
TMJ problems can be addressed in multiple ways. Our goal is to find the right solution for your particular situation. We can help you with these services:
- Night Guards – These custom-made appliances are similar to athletic mouthguards and are worn to prevent teeth grinding in your sleep.
- Splints – These are also made to fit over your teeth. They prevent grinding and relieve TMJ pain by gently repositioning your jaw.
- Clear Aligners – The alignment of your teeth can contribute to TMJ problems. We offer both Invisalign and ClearCorrect as orthodontic options to improve your situation.
- Botox® – Botox can limit contractions of the facial muscles that cause you to clench or grind your teeth together, which can also lead to headaches.
- Snore Guards – Teeth grinding is common among people with sleep apnea. An oral appliance can provide relief for people who can’t or won’t use a CPAP machine.
You may benefit from one or a combination of the services mentioned above. Our doctors will carefully evaluate your condition and help you find the right solution to relieve your pain.
Fight TMJ Disorder to Protect Your Smile
TMJ disorders have a variety of causes, and in many cases, more than one factor comes into play. In addition to teeth grinding, you may have arthritis in or around your jaw. You may have suffered an injury or are dealing with an infection. TMJ problems can have a variety of symptoms as well, which include pain from headaches to neck and upper back pain. You might find it difficult to open and close your mouth, or you may notice a clicking or popping sensation when you do.
Grinding also can damage your oral health. The pressure this creates can increase your risk of cracked teeth, tooth decay, and gum infections. While we can address those issues with restorations, dental fillings, or gum disease treatment, we would prefer to address the root cause of your condition.
To schedule TMJ treatment in Athens, contact McRae Family Dental by filling out our online form or calling one of our offices: