When you visit us for dental checkups, we do so much more than just clean your teeth.
We use our skills, training, and technology to detect developing dental problems that put your smile and your health at risk.
One of those problems is gum disease, and we have special training in spotting it during a visual examination of your mouth.
While the signs will be obvious to us, you won’t necessarily be able to see them on your own at home.
But that doesn’t mean there aren’t certain things to look for in between those routine hygiene appointments!
Catching and treating gum disease early is the only way to reverse it. Otherwise, it can only be managed with special gum disease therapy and more frequent visits to McRae Family Dental in Athens, GA.
So if you’re experiencing any of these five symptoms, be sure to visit us right away:
- RED, SORE GUMS – This could be from a bacterial infection that is inflaming or irritating your gum tissues.
- BLEEDING GUMS – Your gums aren’t supposed to bleed, not even when you brush or floss, so don’t assume this is normal!
- BAD BREATH – Because gum disease infection has a foul odor, it won’t go away with brushing, flossing, rinsing with mouthwash, or chewing gum. Persistent bad breath is often a sign your gums may be in trouble.
- RECEDING GUMS – If you notice that your teeth look longer than they used to, your gums may be receding because the infection is eating away at those tissues.
- LOOSE TEETH – Since gum disease destroys healthy gum tissue and your jawbone, your teeth will start to lose their foundational stability. That’s why gum disease is the leading cause of adult tooth loss.
Don’t put your oral and overall health at risk! See one of our skilled dentists right away so we can take action against advancing gum disease. Visit McRae Family Dental online or schedule an appointment by calling one of our offices:
- Baxter Street – 706-480-9410
- Trail Creek – 706-430-3191
- Epps Bridge – 706-430-3102